This recipe is a recent creation of mine, the first time I made it I was just chucking a load of bits that needed using up into the dish, not knowing how it was going to turn out...but oh my days was it good! So good that in fact I made it all again a few weeks later for me, my mum and a friend. It's an ideal 'easy entertaining' meal as all it involves is a bit of chopping and it all cooks in one dish...simple.
Ingredients (for 2)
- 2 equally sized pieces of Salmon, skin on (or any other fish you love just adjust the cooking time for thinner/thicker fish fillets)
- New Potatoes (4-5 per person depending on size, mine were quite large)
- 1 Red Onion
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 1/2 Green Pepper
- 1/2 Courgette
- 1/2 Small punnet of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp of good Pesto
- Lemon for zest and juice (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180c and pop in a tin/dish with a tablespoon of olive oil in to heat up.
- Slice the potatoes into large chunks, rinse and drain in a colander and put in a plastic sandwich bag and seal shut. Pop in the microwave for 2 minutes to lightly steam and soften the potatoes.
- Whilst they are cooling chop the onion into wedges.
- By now the oil in the tray should be hot, tumble in the potatoes and onion wedges, toss to coat in the oil and roast for 20 minutes.
- Whilst they are roasting chop the rest of your veg into large chunks and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- With the Salmon just lightly oil the flesh side and season with a touch of salt and pepper.
- When the 20mins are up add in the other veg and toss well, roast for a further 10 minutes.
- After 10mins take out the veg and lay the salmon on top. Pop back into the oven for a further 15-20mins or until the salmon is just cooked. (If you are unsure just lightly press the fish, it should be firm and flake easily. Or just cut into it and the flesh should be opaque.)
- Just before serving drizzle over the pesto (you may need to thin the pesto with some extra olive oil), grate over the zest of a lemon and the juice of half.
This is plenty for 2 people but if you want to you can serve it with a salad or green beans. I really hope you give this dish a try, especially if you are usually afraid of cooking fish, as this is totally fuss free and pretty much guarantees perfect fishy goodness...